* Jesus says: Be wise as serpents, but harmless as doves. Mt. 10




Don't miss the signs.  They show you the truth about themselves, if only we will listen to what they say and recognize the truth that comes from their own mouths and their own ways of life.

Therefore when Jesus sent out His disciples, HE said to them:

Matthew 10

16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

17 But beware of men:


Examples given in this podcast:

*****

Humans love being wise in their own eyes:

Pam Padgett, member of the body of Christ, had a 17 year old car to sell.  To buy that car new today would cost $55,000.  It has 75,000 miles, good Premium brand tires, the motor is in very good condition, Pam priced the car at $6,500.  The car has had oil change every 3,000 miles and has been well taken care of according to the Acura dealer manual.

A young man in his 20's wanted to buy the car.  He said he had $5000 but needed to borrow the rest from a bank.  He asked Pam, "If I paid cash today, how much would you sell the car for today."

Pam replied, "$6,300,"

But he didn't pay the price that same day!

Thus Pam is free from that price.  

Pam let herself get into a trap by two things:  Kelly's Blue Book said that year Acura was worth $6,300.  But that would be any Acura.  Pam's car has premium Continental tires with very little mileage.  The care of her car is excellent.  Her car is worth more than the Blue Book price.

When I learned this young man is in his 20's, and needed a car, and had to borrow money to buy this car, I felt strongly he was a worldly young man who lived as the world lives, "up to his gills in debt."

I kept being drawn to Proverbs 6.

2 Thou art snared with the words of thy mouth, thou art taken with the words of thy mouth.

3 Do this now, my son, and deliver thyself, ...

4 Give not sleep to thine eyes, nor slumber to thine eyelids.

5 Deliver thyself as a roe from the hand of the hunter, and as a bird from the hand of the fowler.


Pam got herself into a trap whereby she was feeding this young man's greed and pride.

Also Pam learned this young man was lying to her.

His aunt is a neighbor of Pam's.  The aunt (Catholic) told Pam the young man had gotten the additional money he needed from the bank to buy the car.  He told Pam he had $5000 now but that the bank wouldn't loan the rest to him, but that he should be able to get all the money "next week".  Pam told this to the aunt.

God called to Pam's attention that this young man asked several days ago how much she would take for the car if he paid cash "that day."  (He did not pay cash "that day."  Pam is no longer bound to the price she would have taken "that same day.")

When Pam called him, he sent a message that he was out playing golf and would get back in touch with her later when he finished his golf game.

(It takes money to play golf.  He said he had to go to bank and borrow money.  Yet he is out playing golf.  Let him learn a lesson from this if possible.)

God was leading Pam to "free herself".

Pam sent text to this young man telling him the price of the car now is $6,500.  If he wants to buy the car expect to pay that.  She is putting the car on the Internet listing immediately.

Pam will also send a copy of her text message to the aunt who lives in Pam's neighborhood.

Pam is doing Proverbs 6.

Update:  After Pam sent text message to the young man telling him price of car would now be $6,500  he said he would be over tomorrow at 3 pm to give her the money and get the car.  Then Pam had 5 additional people contact her, from local Internet neighborhood notice of car, wanting to drive the car.  She listed it as "sold".


***

I had an house for sale in Texas.  It was a very high quality home, truly custom designed and custom built.  

During the height of Coronavirus, I turned to God and asked God if there was anything I should do about that house in Texas.  I felt strongly led to put the house on special sale for 1 week.  I reduced the price of the house by $50,000 immediately and told my realtor this was a one week only sale.

Immediately someone wanted to buy the house.

They paid to have the house inspected.  The inspector who is paid to find problems found a few very minor problems.  These people wanted me to pay and fix those problems.  They also wanted me to pay for a $600 warrantee on the house.

I felt the house was such a low price I was sorry they bought the house.

Then they backed out!

So I was free.

I put the house back on the market and added $7,000 to pay for the list of things on the inspector's finding.  I also was charging enough to cover the $600 warrantee.

The people who wanted to buy the house returned wanting to buy it a second time but now the price was $7,000 more than the "special sale" price.

My new realtor explained to them that was a "one week" special sale price and they passed it up and now the price of the house was $7,000 more.

They paid the new price.

It ended up costing them more than $4,000 ... for had they bought the house on their first offer and taken care of those minor repairs themselves, it would have cost less than $3,000 to pay for the repairs.  By the time they made their second offer, we had already fixed the list of repair items and it cost us a little over $2,000. 

They paid the extra $7,000.

They still got a wonderful house at a bargain.

We closed on the house May 15, 2020.

*** 

Be wise as serpents and harmless as doves.

People so often love to tell you how much they got an item for, how wise they were, being wise in their own eyes and wise in the eyes of those around them.

I rarely hear anyone speak of buying something at the full price.

For about 7 years, I owned a small business in Dallas, Texas ... American Indian Arts.

I protected my customers.  I was certain a customer was getting a very fine item and I priced the item according to the fair market value.

(Customers should respect the expertise of the dealer who spends time and effort to acquire knowledge concerning the item.)

Otherwise, let them buy from motel sales people who come through the city.  Let them be their own expert.

Once in a while, someone would ask me to lower the price of a piece of American Indian jewelry.  I would say to that person, "Would you go into Neiman-Marcus and ask them to lower the price on an item?"  (After I said that, they always paid the full price at my shop.)

People can be very greedy and prideful.  I certainly want no part of their greed or pride.  I keep a very firm reign when I price something, even now, especially now.

***

Be not deceived by them.  Listen to what they say!

Recently I purchased a sound system for my new car.  I went to a reputable dealer who handled very high level sound equipment.  I was not looking for a bargain but for quality.  I was certain they would produce quality.

That doesn't mean you should be taken in by them.

The first day, when we decided on the equipment and price, the store manager said, "Well ... I must be getting back now to my other customers."  I was not deceived by this manager.  He got what he wanted from me and now it was over.  I gave him a $1500 deposit.  He was to order the special amp and sub-woofer.  

The manager said it would take 5 days to get the equipment.  I didn't believe him.  I felt he was leaving time to work in other jobs.  I know how fast we can get things over internet, one to two days delivery.

He first said it would take 2 days to do the job.  Then after we paid the down payment and he had our money, he said it would take 3 days.  On the 3rd day, he said the car wasn't ready yet and "they wanted to do a good job", so it would now be another day.

That didn't matter to me, but I was not deceived by this store manager.  I have seen contractors do this.  They get my job and then stop my job to do other work.  I think that was the case with the sound equipment.  This is a way of this world in business.  Nail down the job and push other jobs before your job.  I can live with that.  But I don't have to be deceived by their reasons for the delay.

"Wise as serpents.  Harmless as doves."

I told Pam several days ago, that I did not plan to go with her when she picked up the car.  I did not want to see this store manager again.  After watching the way he dealt, I was sure I did not want to be with him again.  I do not harm him but neither do I want to be around him for I know what he is.

John 8

44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

Be not deceived by them.

I just keep dealing fairly and honestly with them.  

But don't fall into their trap where they try to deceive me by their "fair sounding words".

Jesus said:  Beware of men.

(The store manager just called and now they want to keep the car until Monday, June 29.)

I told Pam to tell him, "Okay. But we want the car for sure by Monday."  

We have to get new tires on this new car.  It vibrates.

I think I recall that my dad always got new tires on his new cars because the manufacture didn't put as high grade tire on their vehicles as my dad wanted. 


***

Proverbs 3

5 Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the Lord, and depart from evil.


*****