* Where there is envy and strife, there is confusion and every evil work. (James 3:16)





One of the works of the flesh of man is "emulations" (Gal. 5:20).

It is the nature of man to exalt himself above other people.  People do this in different ways.  By physical appearance, by achievements, by the clothes worn ... It is natural for us to do this one way or another.

The apostle Paul says:  They that do these things will not inherit the kingdom of God.  (I Cor 6:9-10 and  Gal. 5:19-21)

We once did these things but now we are born again, given by God HIS Spirit, so we learn to go another way.

Galatians 5:22-25   But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.  And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

In 1960, I moved to Dallas, Texas, to be orchestra director at Kimball High School.  One of the high school teachers invited me to go to a college football game.  I was shocked that anyone actually chose to do this.  In college, I played in the band and we were forced to go to football until after the halftime performance and then they let us leave.  My friends and I left!

The teacher at Kimball said, "It only costs $6."  

I replied, "You mean you pay to go?"

For the next 60 years I hated the opposing team and was a fan.  

Then God began to wean me away and modify my life in this activity.

We learn the way of this world.  Then the Spirit of God pulls us away from that way and takes us another way.  And in the end we come to see all that matters is God's way.

And we then feel sorry for those who are trapped in the ways of this world.  But we are very grateful to God that HE showed us the truth.

*****

Philippians 2:5-7 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:   Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:  But made Himself of no reputation,

I once played duplicate bridge.  At the bridge center, as my partner and I were trying to beat the other people, I often thought of Jesus and Paul.  I couldn't imagine them doing what I was doing.  I asked God to get me loose from this.  God did.

God answers our prayers when they are according to the will of God.  (I John 5:13-15)


***

The apostle Paul was very highly skilled in the Jew's religious, even above many other men:

I Corinthians 3:3-10   For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:

Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;

6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.

7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.

8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

9 And be found in HIM, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

10 That I may know HIM, and the power of HIS resurrection, and the fellowship of HIS sufferings, being made conformable unto HIS death;

(I used to pray verse 10 over myself frequently.  God was pleased to answer that prayer also!)


***

Like Paul, God changes us day by day into the image of Jesus as we are given the Word and as we make adjustments which are appropriate to the Word.

I Corinthians 15:30-31   And why stand we in jeopardy every hour?  I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.

(We die "to self" as God calls to our attention an adjustment which we need to make to that which we have been doing on this earth.)

On January 4, 2021, I realized it would be better for me to make a change in our Podbean heading and instead of identifying myself as Jesus Ministries, Dr. Joan Boney, I now identify myself by the following: 

Jesus Ministries, Joan Boney, called to be an apostle and prophet of Jesus Christ according to Ephesians 4:11-12. 

Although I do have an earned doctorate, the important thing for anyone to know about me is that I am called by God for the work of apostle and prophet. 

(No doubt this identification will bring me some shame and even persecution from church goers.)


*****